Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sarsaparilla Soda


No matter how hard I try to cut soda out of my diet, I just can’t help but grab one every once in a while!  So it might as well be homemade.

For the first time around I bought a couple soda extracts from my local brewery supplier, sarsaparilla and birch beer.  Which it turns out, both are basically just root beer, coming from different plants but similar in taste.



Recipe went as follows…

Rehydrate 1 tsp brewer’s yeast in warm water.
Combine soda extract, 4 lbs (or 8 cups) sugar with enough warm water to dissolve.

 
Stir in yeast and add warm water until you have 4 gallons of soda.

 
Fill bottles leaving 1-2 inches of head space.

 
Age 3-4 days at room temperature, then store in cool, dark place for total aging of 2 weeks
Refrigerate and enjoy! 
(My 4 gallons filled 28 12 oz. glass bottles and 2 2 liter soda bottles)

 
Can’t wait, it already tastes good, just needs to carbonate.

No comments:

Post a Comment