Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rice + Water + Blender = Rice Milk!



I never realized how easy rice milk is!  We were buying a carton a week almost, but not anymore.   Brown rice works best since it has the most nutrients, but you can use any rice you like.
 
First cook a cup of rice.  Follow the directions on the bag, the brown rice I used took 2 ½ cups of water for 1 cup of uncooked rice. 
 

Once your rice is cooked and cooled slightly, blend it with enough water to get the blender moving freely (I usually use an equal ratio of water to rice).  You want to chop up the rice as fine as possible, so add as much water as is necessary.
 
 
 
 
 
When your rice mixture is a nice smooth consistency strain it into a clean bowl.  You may have to stir the little rice chunks around so the whole mixture can pass through the strainer.  Continue to strain the mixture 3 or 4 more times, cleaning your strainer and bowls in between.  (I haven’t figured out anything useful to do with the waste rice other than giving it to the chickens or compost, but it seems like it could be a good hot cereal).
 
 
Put your milk in some kind of air tight container, like an old juice or soda bottle.  Gradually add more water until you get it the consistency you desire.  I like my rice milk pretty thin so I added about 3 more cups of water. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
You can also add flavoring to the milk; such as sweetener, maple syrup, vanilla, cocoa powder, fruit, etc.  The possibilities are endless, but trust me you will not be wasting money on rice milk ever again after trying this.  Just remember to shake the milk before pouring and you can always add more water if it starts to thicken.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know it was that easy either! I usually buy soy milk, but like rice milk as well, so maybe when we get a blender I'll try this! It definitely seems like it would be much more cost effective too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea making rice milk has become part of my weekly routine, and it's soo much cheaper! I bet you could make your own soy milk too with soy beans and water. I haven't tried that yet.

      Delete